Jessica Rousseau is an Ayurvedic Health Counselor and yoga teacher with over 1,000 hours learning under master teachers and 10 years of practice. Her years on the mat, in the kitchen, and growing babies has led her to create a safe haven for mamas who want to feel good in their own skin. You can learn more about her health counseling services, postpartum meal delivery services, and public yoga classes at www.vedajess.com.
I don’t have that secret. But you do.
You inherently know what a balanced diet and routine is for your life. Your body is begging you for it. At this point, you may simply be unaware of your body’s particular messages. You may know that your body is sending you messages but you’re not quite sure how to translate them.
I can translate them. Or rather, my Ayurvedic training can help me translate them for you.
Ayurveda, the “sister science” of yoga, provides a unique yet comprehensive method for each of us to understand our own minds and bodies. The word “Ayurveda” literally translates to “the science of life” and uses a blend of ancient art, science, and observational techniques to guide practitioners away from states of imbalance (illness) and toward a state of balance (homeostasis). Because Ayurveda is the science of all life, there are endless applications to its practices and uses.
Here is a quick snapshot of how to view the world through an Ayurvedic lens.
All energies of life are categorized into 3 different doshas. The doshas are present in every person and everything on our planet. You have your own unique doshic makeup. So what are the doshas?
- Vata. Vata dosha is made of the energies of ether and air elements. Anything that is lightweight, dry, rough, cold, mobile. Vata is our ability to adapt and move. You are familiar with vata. When you encounter a person with a great deal of creativity, acute clarity, and an inspired way of being, you have encountered vta in human form.
- Pitta. Pitta dosha is made of the energies of fire and water. Anything that is hot will help you understand pitta. You know pitta already and you see it regularly. When you encounter a person with charisma, sharp intelligence, joy, sparkling eyes, and acute alertness, you have encountered pitta dosha in human form.
- Kapha. Kapha dosha is made of water and earth elements. It is a stable, reliable force and present in all tangible things in this world. When you meet a person who is calm, steady, respectful of traditions, and wholly reliable, then you have met kapha in its human form.
If there are only 3 doshas, how is it possible for such great variety and depth of understanding? After all, there doesn’t appear to be much variability in the number 3. Fortunately, living creatures are exquisitely complex, providing endless opportunities for combinations of doshic balance (and imbalance).
Consider the following scenarios:
- Two different people may be born with high vata in their constitutions. One person may experience a lifetime of vata imbalances in the form of persistently dry skin, insomnia, and anxiety. The second person may be born with high vata but merely have short-lived periods of anxiety that is easily resolved. Both people have high vata.
- Two people can be born with high pitta. One person may be afflicted with persistent acne and be quick to stress while the second person may experience diarrhea and perfectionism. Both deal with pitta imbalances but they are showing up in different ways.
- Two people can be born with high kapha in their constitutions. One person may have a childhood of asthma and sinus infections while the other person battles lethargy and sleepiness indefinitely. Both people are dealing with high kapha but they must deal with different manifestations.
The benefits of working with an Ayurvedic professional to learn Ayurveda for yourself are as vast and complex as your own life.These benefits will stay with you through your life. Once you understand your own tendencies that take you out of balance then you will begin to harness the power to move yourself back toward a state of balance. The practice of living an Ayurvedic lifestyle will be refined with every year, leading you to age with more wisdom and ease than you ever thought imaginable.